©2019 by Schools Tree Project Uganda. Proudly created with Wix.com

About Us

Why we do what we do

Action is needed
In 1990, Uganda had over 5 million hectares of forest cover; but by 2005 only 3.5 million hectares (8.6 million acres had remained) –according to Nema. If deforestation continues at the present rate, the country will have lost all its forest by 2050.
On average, 10 percent of Uganda’s population has access to electricity while the rest (90 percent) use firewood for cooking. The most disturbing aspect is that even the 10 percent of the population that has access to electricity, 7 percent use charcoal for cooking. Compounding the problem is that, Uganda an East African Country of roughly 31 million people has one of the largest population growth rates.
This implies that we need to take urgent action not only in re planting the degraded environment but put effective measures to ensure that we carb down on the rate of deforestation if the country is to effectively overcome the adverse impact of Climate Change. It is upon this background that the Schools Tree Project was founded; not only fight Climate Change by regreening the our degraded natural heritage, but by empowering the young generation with skills in tackling Climate Change. We take the fight against Climate Change right to schools and remote communities of Uganda.

In every crisis, children are the most vulnerable. Climate Change is no exception. As escalating droughts and floods degrade food production, children bear the greatest burden of hunger, malnutrition and disease. Our role as the Schools Tree Project is to forcefully tackle the Climate Crisis now by empowering children to become environmental stewards starting form their schools into communities they hail from.
We teach take the fight against Climate Change right to the Schools, educating them about the causes, how its bound to impact on them and equipping them with practical solution to the problem through tree planting and Renewable energy schemes made from local materials.
We are currently working in Schools within Jinja and we intend to roll out to every single School within the Country. Our goal is to plant 3 million trees by 2020. We have so far covered Schools like, Victoria Nile School, Holy Cross Primary School, St Jude Primary, Shilo Nile Star Primary, Bosmo Junior School, Walukuba East Primary, Walukuba West Primary, St Mary’s Primary ( Kimaka) and we are still going strong.

 

Programs

Schools Tree Project Uganda is in the business of changing and shaping lives. The work we do at our Non-Profit Organization is aimed at providing a holistic approach to solving some of our society’s biggest challenges. We make sure our partners are empowered by creating opportunities for individuals and communities.

 

Tree planting

We bring some Environmental thoughts into classes of primary and secondary schools and explain the importance of trees . After that the active part starts: Students get their tree seedlings, give them a name and plant them on the school compound. From now they are responsible to take care of their trees: Watering, protecting, promoting... Follow-up visits and lessons for some of our other environmental topics emphasize the importance and guarantee sustainability of the program. The idea is to empower children children become Stewards in Climate Change Mitigation right from their Schools and later into their Communities.

This site was designed with the
.com
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now